Saturday 2 August 2014

A Very Pink Weekend

For the Bronze level of The Voyage Award the time requirement is 40 hours of Service. Now I could do this no bother over 12 months with my existing guiding commitments but that wouldn't be a challenge. So far I have helped  at 4th Killingworth Brownies at their meeting and with 1st Forest Hall Guides doing their Onesie Walk which was a sponsored walk from the Rising Sun Country Park to their meeting place in Forest Hall. I can also count the time I spend in my role as Trefoil Guild Chairperson. However this is also covered by volunteering with a charity so I decided to help at the at the Cancer Research events at Gosforth Park Racecourse, Newcastle on the weekend of 19th and 20th July.  On Saturday  I was up early to report for duty at 8:15 for the Newcastle Pretty Muddy Race for Life. I was an obstacle marshal and was armed with a fluorescent jacket and a radio. My job on the day to make sure the ladies got over the obstacles and encourage those who needed it. I was on the first obstacle so most were still excited at the run ahead and not at all muddy. There were all shapes and sizes of ladies and all ages but all of them were up for the challenge.Those tubes were bigger and firmer than they appear but there was lots of laughter going over them.


Sunday meant another early morning and  back there again for the Race for Life. I was a race marshal this time and was at a point where the race splits - I lost my direction sheet to start with which made me doubt my ability to send people the right way but never mind, I manned my spot and no one got lost.  
Before the race I had time to practice a new skill - a selfie on my new phone just to prove I was there.

Towards the end of the run people are more tired and need a bit more encouragement but most managed a smile when I said there wasn't much further to go. At one point I felt quite emotional seeing people running with names of loved ones on their back. I didn't think it would be very encouraging to be standing their crying so fortunately the sun was out so out came the sunglasses. I was so proud of all these people for making the effort  and felt my part was just a little to help them on their way yet even though some had hardly any energy left they still smiled and said thank you for marshaling. There was a great uplifiting spirit which kept them going until the end. A very important job was to make sure everyone knew when the last person passed your point. This was so when the end was reached there were plenty of people at the finishing line to cheer them in. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow you do the race the fact that you've attempted it is important. a great weekend - see you all next year Ladies. 
It all added up to 13 1/2 hours of volunteering  and a very tired Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment