Monday 23 November 2015

I did it!

The night of the Glow Run has been and gone, my flashing bunny ears have lain discarded in the kitchen  and now I have to motivate myself on these dark wet days to go out and run. But that night in October it was all worth it.

With my super-supportive daughter we set out to find Gateshead Stadium on a dark October night. I knew vaguely the direction to go when we got off the Metro but after a couple of false starts we got there and as expected we were first to arrive. (I always get places too early).  We registered and then got ready with glow-sticks and of course the bunny ears which I wasn't allowed to put on until we were outside (only mothers of teenage daughters will know that look of "no mother that is a step too far")
Ready for action, clean and dry but not for long

As we all gathered outside for the warm up, our personal cheerleader and photographer (also known as daughters boyfriend) arrived and then the true benefit of the bunny ears were revealed, he always knew where we were. They were like a tracking device as we ran around the track

I'm confidently telling Kate it's only 4 laps of the track when over the tannoy comes the bad news "This is a fun run (fun!!!!) but if you want to do the full 3K its 8 laps of the track" I could feel my heart sink, it's the same distance but sounded so much further now.

Anyway off we went through the first spray of neon paint which was very cold and very wet. Everyone raced off but like all gold medal athletes I had my plan and stuck to it. Slow and steady wins the race. Every lap meant more neon paint being sprayed but as Kate and I continued to run I felt good passing all those who had sped off at the beginning and were now walking.

Bunny ears in action

Apart from the actual running the hardest part was keeping count of the number of laps we had done. We kept checking with each other how far we had gone and luckily always agreed. I've no idea how long I took but who cares, my target was to do 3K and finish and that's what I did.  I felt so good even if I didn't look so good at the end covered in paint.


We didn't plan for the end very well, I didn't expect to get wet right through to undies and never thought of a towel to get dried with. Nor travelling home through Newcastle on a Friday night with neon paint in our hair and clothes but in true British style, apart from one woman who had a brief flicker of a smile no-one looked twice.

Huge thanks to my running partner Kate who stuck with me all the way through even though I know she can run faster and longer than me and thanks to the official photographer Bashir who I covered in neon paint giving him a hug. Finally thanks to everyone who sponsored myself and Kate, we both exceeded our target of £100 each.


So what's next I hear you ask, I've discovered I'm a fair weather runner but I've bought some warmer and waterproof running gear so plan on carrying on but I'll have to find another target otherwise I'll not go out in the winter. But don't suggest The Great North Run, that's a step too far!




No comments:

Post a Comment